Apart from the similarities of daily life, culture and climate, these two Asian brothers, Vietnam – Laos have very different cultural aspects.
1. Meals:Vietnamese people eat rice, Laotians people eat sticky-rice, Vietnamese use chopsticks, Laotians prefer eat with their hands.
2. Traffic:Vietnamese honk fairly often, Laotians people honk when necessary.
3. Costume : “Ao dai” in Vietnam and “sing” in Laos.
4. Type of transport : “xe-ôm” motorcycle-taxi in Vietnam and “tuk-tuk” all over Laos.
5. Demand for alms : in Vietnam, it is rare and the devotes don’t usually sit down to wait for the monks as they do in Laos.
6. Beauty treatment : Vietnamese always wear a mask and gloves before going out, but Laotians people let the sun shine on them.
7. National flower : the lotus in Vietnam symbolies the nobility, the indomitable will against all adversity; The dok champa in Laos symbolizes joy and sincerity.
8. Autostop : : In Vietnam, 8/10 person will stop. In Laos about 1/100 person.
9. Bargaining: Bargain 5 times for a good in Vietnam while in Laos it is only one time.
10. Greeting : you can hear “Sabaidee” (hello) all the time during your trip in Laos, and the Vietnamese people will great you by “Hello” or just by a simple friendly smile.